version 0.7.0a of Python Server Pages

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Wed Sep 27 16:19:24 EDT 2000

In article <yJnA5.2123$bF.90406 at nntp1.onemain.com>,
Jon Brisbin <mail at jbrisbin.net> wrote:
>Quite a few have already perused and downloaded my new project Python
>ServerPages ( http://www.jbrisbin.net/PythonServerPages ) and several have
>asked "what's the difference between this and all those other packages??"
>In a word: simplicity :-)  One CGI script (which can be integrated with your
>mod_pyapache, mod_snake, etc...) parses your embeded Python code...here's an
>example of how easy it is to develop a PSP page:

>[$ if Form.has_key("variable"): $]
>  <h1>Hello [+Form.variable+]</h1>
>[$ endif $]
><hr>
>[-
>def myFunc(self, param):
>    return "foo" + string.toupper(param)
>-]
><hr>
>[+myFunc("stuff")+]<br>
>You are connecting from: [+Request.remote_addr+]
><hr>
><!-- Include another PSP page -->
>[-Page.process("/full/path/to/file.pyml")-]

[snip]

>You can download Python ServerPages at
>http://www.jbrisbin.net/PythonServerPages

Couple-o-things

1) Isn't there another Python Server Pages project out there, one
   that uses JPython?

2) Is this a pure interpreter, or are the pages turned into byte-compiled
   python .pyc files?

3) Any reason not to switch to the JSP <> based tag format?  People, and
   more importantly web-page editors, are used to looking at <> based tags.

Keep up the good work!

-- cary