version 0.7.0a of Python Server Pages

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Wed Sep 27 22:19:24 CEST 2000

In article <yJnA5.2123$bF.90406 at>,
Jon Brisbin <mail at> wrote:
>Quite a few have already perused and downloaded my new project Python
>ServerPages ( ) and several have
>asked "what's the difference between this and all those other packages??"
>In a word: simplicity :-)  One CGI script (which can be integrated with your
>mod_pyapache, mod_snake, etc...) parses your embeded Python's an
>example of how easy it is to develop a PSP page:
>[$ if Form.has_key("variable"): $]
>  <h1>Hello [+Form.variable+]</h1>
>[$ endif $]
>def myFunc(self, param):
>    return "foo" + string.toupper(param)
>You are connecting from: [+Request.remote_addr+]
><!-- Include another PSP page -->
>You can download Python ServerPages at

1) Isn't there another Python Server Pages project out there, one
   that uses JPython?

2) Is this a pure interpreter, or are the pages turned into byte-compiled
   python .pyc files?

3) Any reason not to switch to the JSP <> based tag format?  People, and
   more importantly web-page editors, are used to looking at <> based tags.

Keep up the good work!

-- cary