New Python development process

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Sep 27 13:47:08 EDT 2000

SchmidtRW at y12.doe.dov (Russ Schmidt) writes:
> You mention the "CVS tree" quite a bit without defining it. It is clear
> from the context that you are talking about the source code, but I am not
> at all sure of the further implications of the phrase. Is a short
> explanation warranted?

Good point.  I've done a bit of rewriting to take the critiques from
you and Aahz into account (see below).

Aahz Maruch wrote:
>I'll try posting a more detailed critique later, but I strongly suggest
>a major structural change: move the "how-to" information to the front
>and append the rest as a "Background" section.

Noted.  I don't like the idea of a separate "Background" section,
disliking subsections unless there really is going to be more than one
of them, but have made the structural change you suggest.  The text
now begins:

The most important change in Python 2.0 may not be to the code at all,
but to how Python is developed: in May 2000 the Python developers
began using the tools made available by SourceForge for storing
source code, tracking bug reports, and managing the queue of patch
submissions.  To report bugs or submit patches for Python 2.0, use the
bug tracking and patch manager tools available from Python's project
page, located at \url{http://sourceforge.net/projects/python/}.

The most important of the services now hosted at SourceForge is the
Python CVS tree, the version-controlled repository containing the
source code for Python.  Previously, there were roughly 7 or so people
who had write access to the CVS tree ... (rest of the text as before)

--amk