Scientific plotting calls for Python on Mac??

Nick Bower nick at
Sun Sep 3 17:46:53 CEST 2000

> There seem to be several packages out there for Python
> scientific/numeric plotting on the Mac, but it is not clear which are
> simplest to use -- my criteria.  Some seem to require several packages.

To me, the cost of installing > 1 packages is far outweighed by the
factors such as power, flexibility, and as you say, ease of use.  The
science visualization package PYDL for example (for linux - deliberately makes the user separately
install NumPy and Python-Imaging (via the linux package managers where
possible) for avoidance of potential conflicts with other applications
that use the same extensions and a cleaner upgrade path in general.