Tuple Format?

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Sep 3 20:07:59 EDT 2000

> >What about using the pipe to define tuples?
> >
> >Empty Tuple ||
> >1 Element Tuple |'a'|
> >3 Element Tuple |'a', 'b', 'c'|
>
> Same problem as with using < and >, it's aready a binary
> operator, so the syntax is a bit ambiguous.  One thought would
> be to use the single quotes for tuple delimiters (as in `a,b,c'
> or `x' or `'). This has the advantage (in my mind) of reminding
> one that tuples are like strings: immutable.

Although it suffers from the problem of putting tuples inside tuples, I
think backquotes would be a good idea (I don't think they're used anywhere,
though I could be wrong).

`a, b, c` ... works pretty well, but then ``a, b, c`` is what?

Except for the fact that tuples are used everywhere, I would suggest a
two-character sequence (or perhaps an opening two-character sequence)

	[` a, b, c ] or [` a, b, c `]

where the back-quote modifies the list to be immutable.

Something along these lines, in any case.

Tim Delaney
Programmer, Avaya.