Reviewlet of XML Processing With Python by S.McGrath

effbot at effbot at
Sat Sep 9 12:04:27 CEST 2000

steven wrote:
> As far as PYX is conserned, I agree that it could be simpler. I
> have to assume that the designers had a reason for including
> "-\n", but I can't figure it out either.

Unless you're using a validating parser and a DTD, you
cannot throw away whitespace.  See section 2.10 of the
XML specification:

    "An XML processor must always pass all characters
    in a document that are not markup through to the

After all, someone might need those extra newlines. For

isn't quite the same thing as:

<!-- daily news from the python universe:

Sent via
Before you buy.