newbie: Zope

Geoff Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Fri Sep 1 09:23:19 EDT 2000

Nick Trout wrote:

> > template barebones_header(title=None,
> >                           keywords=None,
> >                           description=None,
> >                           meta_info=None,
> >                           tree_info=None):
> >     """
> >     <head>
> >     <title>%s</title>
> >     """ % html_quote(str(title))
> >     if description:
> >         '<meta name="description" content="%s">' % html_quote(description)
> >     if keywords:
> >         '<meta name="keywords" content=" html_quote(keywords) ">'
> >     if meta_info:
> >         meta_info
> >
> > If you think this syntax looks like Python, don't worry, you're not
> > crazy.  This code forms part of Quixote.
>
> Please tell me more!! Where would I get this?
>
> The problem I'm having is gluing it all together using Python.
>
> I'm in half a mind just to use Medusa and scrap Zope altogether. I can get
> persistence by pickling and Medusa has producers so I can do all the object
> stuff myself.

I too tried out Zope and found myself overwhelmed by all of the new concepts I'd
have to learn.  I don't want to have to learn and use DTML.  I don't want to
store everything in an object database -- I want to use a regular source control
system.  I don't want to have to figure out ZClasses, Products, Versions, etc.
I don't need through-the-web administration.  I just want a nice way to write a
web application as a Python application.  Zope is a _very_ ambitious system, and
I'm sure that Zope experts can do some pretty amazing stuff with it, but I found
it to be obscure and overkill for what I'm doing.

I'm now using WebWare for Python, and it's working great for what I need.  Check
it out at http://webware.sourceforge.net and if it looks interesting, download
it, try it out, and join the mailing list.

--

- Geoff Talvola
  Parlance Corporation