SWIG help for newbie

Charles Medcoff cmedcoff at my-deja.com
Tue Sep 26 01:18:52 CEST 2000

> But, I know how you feel because I had to take on CVS, SWIG, Python
> extentions, and an in-development library all at once.  I am still
> plugging away learning lots of new thingeys.  SWIG was the easy part.

Yeah me too.  I have been going through all of that over the last
couple of weeks.

By the way I did figure out my linker error.  This is something that
you or any Visual Studio user might be interested in.  I used the
script compile.py (available off the net or the Python Win32 book CD)
for generating a Visual Studio project/workspace. Unbeknownst to me
creates linker settings for exporting a function that you name in the
setup.in file (e.g. initSpam). If after this you decide to change to
using the -c++ option of swig the name of the generated module changes
(e.g. initSpamc) but your linker settings don't.  This creates the
phantom symbol (initSpam) that I've been chasing.  I don't know why
this linker setting is put in the project since code generated by SWIG
for export uses the declspec for exporting the desired symbol.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.