python-1.6 and "history"

Kalle A. Pahajoki pahajoki at voimax.cygnnet.jkl.fi
Thu Sep 7 16:17:46 EDT 2000

Jacek Pop³awski <jp at ulgo.koti.com.pl> wrote:
>  I just compiled 1.6 and find out, that I can't "history",
>before I used python-1.5.2 binary, and I can browse history
>by "up" and "down" arrows - where should I set it?

I'm guessing you are using a linux system with 1.5.2 installed from a
package which has readline support compiled in.
Readline is the library that provides the line-editing and history
functionality. You need to recompile your Python 1.6 for readline
support (see Modules/Setup). You probably need to install the header
files for readline library too.

--
Kalle Pahajoki <kalle at pahajoki.org> | http://kalle.pahajoki.org/
	"I don't really love computers, I just say that to get them