Questions about multiple import's.

David Bolen db3l at
Fri Sep 8 04:18:18 CEST 2000

Steve Juranich <sjuranic at> writes:

> I've read the docs on this, and it's still not entirely clear to me. In one
> module, I've imported the re, os, and sys modules.  Now in a parent module,
> I will also need som funtionality from re, sys, and os.  Does it severely
> hinder performance to re-import the 3 system modules into the parent
> namespace, or should I just resolve myself to getting at the functions by
> tacking on an additional "name." construnction (e.g.,

Just go ahead and import it in each module that uses it.  The
interpreter will really only load the module once, so any further
imports are low overhead, just establishing a label for that module in
the local namespace at the point of import.

Currently loaded modules can be tracked in the sys.modules dictionary.

-- David
 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l at  /