a way to keep the Python interpreter in memory?

R. A. griff at netdoor.com
Tue Sep 19 11:13:31 EDT 2000

As a rank newbie, I was unable to provide a confident answer to the
following question posed by an associate coding on the web team at a
major corporation who has been patiently hearing me out about Python.
Is there a way to do what he's looking for?

"When you have apps running on a webserver, a Perl application requires
the perl interpreter (perl.exe in Windows) to be instantiated every time
a perl script is called.  Java servlets, however, do not as the JVM
(java.exe in Windows) is always in memory, thus making execution much
faster.  When Python is attached to a website, does it function like
Perl or the JVM?  Meaning is a Python interpreter kept in memory at all
times?"