Of what use is 'lambda'???

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Mon Sep 25 12:26:05 EDT 2000

Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> "referentially transparent" is another way of saying "has no side
> effects".

Actually, "referentially transparent" implies there are no side effects, but
the opposite is not necessarily true. This is actually one reason I dislike
Perl.

@x = (3, 2, 1)
$y = @x
$z = (3, 2, 1)

Here $y != $z

Maybe that's just because assignment is explicitly a side-effect in Perl.
It's hard to argue one way or the other. But the first statement still
stands. :-)

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.