Of what use is 'lambda'???

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at no.spam
Thu Sep 28 00:36:54 EDT 2000

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> > Encapsulation arguments never win any points with me.
>
> I guess you don't like object orientation, then.

Can't speak for Jonab there, but I would have to say that at least I
don't like "object orientation", and that's one of the reasons why I
like python so much.

The idea of a third level of scope between global and local is
important.  The orthogonality of different types of data which can
behave in similiar ways is important (I.E. the establishment of a
symantic protocol by which one can communicate with some data without
being explicitly familiar with its byte-layout.).  Parts of the
"object oriented" model (insofar as those words actually mean
everything, since just about EVERY langauge claims to be object
oriented these days) allow succinct expression of these concepts and
that is useful.

Encapsulation is nothing but language-based enforcement of a rule
which can almost certainly not be broken unintentionally.  For a rule
which is supposedly part of a philosophy that promotes "code reuse",
it's surprisingly hypocritical, considering that it mandates that you
rewrite said code...

Also, data-hiding is another way to say "broken introspective
capabilities".

For a more detailed example of why religious object orientation sucks,
see http://www.javasoft.com :o)

--
Glyph Lefkowitz
Professional -- Software Engineer,  Origin Systems