Pyton 1.6's license

Joshua Macy amused at
Fri Sep 8 03:45:20 CEST 2000

Ken Kinder wrote:
> I'm a little worried about Debian not packaging Python 1.6 because RMS
> feels so strongly (it's RMS) that it isn't compatible with GPL. I
> release Python GPL code and don't feel it's incompatible, but it could
> be damaging to either Debian, Python, or both if it can't be packaged.
> Can't Python 1.6 be licensed under more than one license like Perl?

  If failure to resolve the conflict in whether the current license is
compatible with GPL is going to cause your project(s) problems, you
should write to CNRI (and possibly the FSF) and let them know that, and
what problems you forsee.  Bear in mind, though, that the state of the
Python license has nothing whatsoever to do with the license that you
put on your code aside from the purely practical matter of whether
someone who insists on running only simon-pure GPL programs will *have*
a Python interpreter to run your code: the CNRI license doesn't infect
your code.