Python smtp server

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at beopen.com
Tue Sep 19 01:06:24 EDT 2000

    BLS> A simple smtpd is all I need, it would be great if you could
    BLS> make it available and post a link. Thanks.

Okay, here's the deal.  smtpd.py will be included with Python 2.1,
probably in the standard library (there's precedent: the standard
library already contains servers and smtpd.py can be extended through
subclassing).

In the meantime, you can get the current snapshot of the file from

    http://www.wooz.org/barry/software/Code/smtpd.py

There's a bit of explanation in the comments of the file, but little
other documentation ("noooobody expects the Hacker documentation!" :).
smtpd.py is mostly intended to be a front-end proxy to a real smtp
server, as should be evident in the PureProxy subclass.  You'll see
some of the things I'm exploring with Mailman in the MailmanProxy
subclass.  See the TODO list in the file for things that aren't
implemented.

Enjoy,
-Barry