Of what use is 'lambda'???

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Tue Sep 19 16:51:50 EDT 2000

In article <wk8zso744u.fsf at turangalila.harmonixmusic.com>, Dan Schmidt wrote:
>ge at nowhere.none (Grant Edwards) writes:
>
>| In Scheme, lambda is the only way to create a function. There is
>| some syntactic sugar that lets you leave out the actual string
>| "lambda" if you want, but I always leave it in.

> - Special Form: defun NAME ARGUMENT-LIST BODY-FORMS

Scheme has something similar:

Is equivalent to

    (define <variable>
          (lambda (<formals>) <body>)).

I always use the latter form (as do a lot of other people).  I
guess I just like it to be _real_ obvious what's going on in my
code (probably why I gave up on Perl after one program). ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If this is the DATING
                                  at               GAME I want to know your