Authenticating a login on the Intranet

Paul Milazzo paulm at magtech.com.au
Tue Sep 12 21:52:48 EDT 2000

Our company is currently setting up an Intranet on
a Linux box using a product called Zope and using
Python
to take care of scripting/programming. The
Intranet is meant to serve both Linux and Windows
clients all local
and on an internal LAN. Our windows clients use
Samba to store/retrieve files on the Linux server.

We have encountered a problem with regards to
authentication of users,  in that Zope appears not
to be able to
authenticate passwords using the "shadow" password
mechanism to verify it. Our linux server has been
setup to
use password shadowing and as such the password
file does not contain any encrypted passwords.

Does anyone know of or can point us in the
direction to how to solve this authentication
problem. We could of
course try to create another password file and use
the httpd mechanism but that would mean
maintaining two
password files which is an administrative pain.

We do not intend for the users to change their
passwords via the intranet, but we'd like to have
one lot of encrypted
passwords so it doesn't become a nightmare.

As mentioned before, we are using the Zope Web
package and Python to configure the Intranet, but
if needed we can
use C/C++ if and where needed or other scripts
such as CGI, the problem is not knowing what
systems calls/software
exists which can authenticate users over the web
and refer to Linux server's shadow password file.

Any help appreciated ... Thanks in Advance
Paul Milazzo

Paul Milazzo
Magellan Technologies
65 Johnston St