Act.Python build100: win32ui.pyd error

Jay Krell jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Sep 16 21:18:52 EDT 2000

>except that in my work machine Win98 SE the damned things are present
>even though the MSDN says that they're unsupported. A typical example of
>win32 is not win32.

That's not unusual. Consider all the *W APIs. CreateFileW, CreateEventW,
etc.
It is a bit surprising, though
    Win9x contemporary with NTx tends to have all the exports, even if some
just return ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED or somesuch.

So the result is that you can't depend on exported or not, but have to go on
version. Like TryEnterCriticalSection, etc.. I think it is also exported on
some Win9xs, but never implemented.

Win32 is definitely not Win32. There are n versions of it, where n is sort
of 2, sort of more. I consider it a great example of why Java can't succeed
on "WORA" -- n companies with n code bases probably cannot do what one
company with two code bases failed to do..

 - Jay