The Tuple syntax is perfectly regular

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Tue Sep 5 00:07:17 CEST 2000

In article <slrn8r7p08.536.jepler.lnk at potty.housenet>, jepler epler wrote:
>'(', (item, ',')*, ')'
>the only irregularity is that the trailing comma is sometimes optional.
>Surely everybody will be happy if we eliminate that little bit of cruft.

No, that's not the tuple syntax.  The syntax is:

      empty: ()
  singleton: a,
       etc.: a,b
           : a,b,c

The parens are only part of tuple syntax in the case of the
empty touple.  You're right about an optional trailing comma on
tuples with 2+ items.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I smell like a wet
                                  at               reducing clinic on Columbus