socket problem?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Sep 14 20:17:33 EDT 2000

Erno Kuusela <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> writes:

>     David> Well, you're probably going to have a problem [...]
>
> how to do most of these things is, as we say in cs, a solved
> problem.
>
> have a look at http://www.2600.com/phrack/p50-06.html

Never surprises me what people have time to work on...

I'm not sure I'd want to use this solution's approach in production
use though (diagnostic maybe, hacking I guess anything goes) - it's
very brute force, generating a fixed (or variable depending on version
- I can't tell from the code what the upper limit is for sure) blast
of RST packets over a range of sequence numbers for every sniffed
packet.  While the odds are good it'll shut down the session, it'll
also blast those packets onto the network, and if it doesn't work
quickly, you've got the potential for a positive feedback loop (you're
getting all these packets for each and every sniffed packet).

But yeah, it should make life tough for the machines in question :-)

--
-- David