Python 2.0b1 is released!

jurgen.defurne at jurgen.defurne at
Fri Sep 8 09:19:17 CEST 2000

philh at at on 08/09/2000 02:54:34
Sent by:	python-list-admin at
To:	python-list at
Subject:	Re: Python 2.0b1 is released!
Classification:	Restricted
On 6 Sep 2000 12:12:27 GMT, Bernhard Reiter <breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE> wrote:
>In article <200009060449.XAA02145 at>,
>	Guido van Rossum <guido at> writes:
>> A unique event in all the history of Python: two releases on the same
>> day!  (At least in my timezone. :-)
>>   - Augmented assignment, e.g. x += 1
>I cannot resist saying that I still consider this an archane "C" -like
>feature which should be better solved with the replace or macro
>function of the editor. I always liked the clearness of the normal
>	x = x + 1

What about the clearness of:

   self.bigLongVariableName = self.bigLongVariableName + 1

>Just my personal opinion. I guess it has all been discussed by the
>developers for the good. :)
>>   - Extended print statement, e.g. print >> file, "Hello"
>I am not sure that I like this one ether.

I would have preferred:

   file << "Hello"

and replace print with:

   cout << "Hello"

But I don't mind the new syntax.

Since I categorize Python more as a scripting language, I tend to prefer
>> to write to a file, like in most shell scripting languages.

*****[ Phil Hunt ]*****
"Something has gone wrong with your computer. Don't worry your silly little
head about what has gone wrong; here's a pretty animation of a paperclip to
look at instead."
         -- Windows2007 error message, extrapolated