Tuple Format?

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Sep 3 20:18:58 EDT 2000

Monday morning ... of course the back-quote is used as shorthand for repr().

This makes parsing the two-character one interesting ... we can actually end
up with the equivalent of a single-element list which is the result of the
repr().

[` a, b, c `] == [ repr(a, b, c) ]

Oops :)

> Although it suffers from the problem of putting tuples inside
> tuples, I
> think backquotes would be a good idea (I don't think they're
> used anywhere,
> though I could be wrong).
>
> `a, b, c` ... works pretty well, but then ``a, b, c`` is what?
>
> Except for the fact that tuples are used everywhere, I would suggest a
> two-character sequence (or perhaps an opening two-character sequence)
>
> 	[` a, b, c ] or [` a, b, c `]
>
> where the back-quote modifies the list to be immutable.

Tim Delaney
Programmer, Avaya.