What is Python?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Mon Sep 18 16:39:25 EDT 2000

William Tanksley wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:47:50 GMT, drobinow at my-deja.com wrote:
> >  tim at degree.ath.cx (Tim Hammerquist) wrote:
> >> As a matter of interest, anyone want to convert the following code to
> >> Python?
>
> >> perl -npe 'next unless /\bjudea/i && /\bfront\b/i' /scripts/movies/brian/*
>
> >Sure. What's it do?
>
> It prints all of the lines in all of the indicated files which contain the
> word-start "judea" and the word "front".
>
> Here's another way of saying that:
>
> cat /scripts/movies/brian/* | grep "\\bjudea" | grep "\\bfront\\b"

I'm not a Unix guy, but my immediate reaction to Tim H.'s Perl code was,
"Why not just do that with Unix commands?"

I think Tom Christiansen once described Perl as "Cliff Notes for Unix"
or something like that.  But he never seemed to realize the logical
implication of that: that it's even more useful on Windows than Unix.

when-something-really-catches-on,-it'll-get-used-even-by-windows
   -folks---whether-tom-likes-it-or-not-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com