Is Python worth learning?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at
Mon Sep 4 16:58:50 CEST 2000

Erik Max Francis <max at> writes:
> Why would it need to?  They're different languages with different goals
> and different strengths.

GvR has made much the same point:

   First of all: I classify Java as a system programming language, not a
   scripting language. While it is interpreted, much of the JVM's
   architecture is very similar to a typical modern CPU -- a stack
   containing untyped 32-bit words, pointers, the works.
   If Java is a system programming language, it needs a companion
   scripting language. In the rest of this article, I'll argue that
   Python is an ideal choice as Java's scripting companion, as well as
   show some examples of Java-Python interaction to back up this claim.

I can no longer find the original article on, but it's
cached on google at