newbie class troubles

Ian Hobson ian.hobson at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 19 19:36:07 EDT 2000

In article <etdhf7e6esj.fsf at w20-575-37.mit.edu>, Alex
<cut_me_out at hotmail.com> writes
>Seriously, there's only about ten (rough guess) of these weird error
>messages to learn.  After that, it'll be much easier to track down
>mistakes.

Care to create such a list - it would be great in a FAQ somewhere.

I'll start.

Message:      Syntax error  (at an apparently correct place)

Translation 1 The previous line has no colon (:) at the end
            2 You wrote = and it should be ==

Message       Name error <x>

Translation 1 An import line is missing.
            2 There is a spelling error - the capitalisation differs?

Ian Hobson

Every time we teach a child something, we prevent him from inventing
it himself. - Jean Piaget