Does Python scale for heavy web loads?

Kevin Breit battery841 at remove.for.no.spam.mypad.com
Thu Sep 7 18:27:22 EDT 2000

In article <8p85rh$hmi$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, markhaliday at my-deja.com wrote:
> Question: Using Python as a CGI and running it under Apache, would
> Python realistically be able to handle 5,000 hits an hour and not
> degrade performance?  With Python's threading, (ex: using a Default.py
> script as an example) I call Default.py to render some information, only
> one thread runs Default.py right?  No other people can hit Default.py
> until Default.py finishes with its original request and serving the
> information back...Correct?
It should probably do a great job.  I mean, if you have poor code, nothing
will run well.  However, I think Mapquest/Yahoo uses Python for their Maps
and stuff.  I assume they get 50000 hits an hour ;)  Heres the URL for
that.

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&BFCat=&...

I cut off some of the URL.  But you can see maps.py there.
Kevin