Of what use is 'lambda'???

Dan Schmidt dfan at harmonixmusic.com
Tue Sep 19 12:12:01 EDT 2000

ge at nowhere.none (Grant Edwards) writes:

| In Scheme, lambda is the only way to create a function. There is
| some syntactic sugar that lets you leave out the actual string
| "lambda" if you want, but I always leave it in.
|
| Does elisp have a non-lambda predicate to create functions?

Yep:

 - Special Form: defun NAME ARGUMENT-LIST BODY-FORMS
     `defun' is the usual way to define new Lisp functions.  It defines
     the symbol NAME as a function that looks like this:

          (lambda ARGUMENT-LIST . BODY-FORMS)

     `defun' stores this lambda expression in the function cell of
     NAME.

--
                 Dan Schmidt | http://www.dfan.org
Honest Bob CD now available! | http://www.dfan.org/honestbob/cd.html