You can never go down the drain...

Dan Schmidt dfan at harmonixmusic.com
Thu Sep 28 09:51:43 EDT 2000

kragen at dnaco.net (Kragen Sitaker) writes:

| In article <wCgA5.844$d5.51939 at newsb.telia.net>,
| Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
|
| >. . . nobody can convince me that line noise is the best way to
| >talk to a string matching engine -- as soon as you go beyond the
| >regular basics (literals, dot, star, ranges), there are better ways
| >to express yourself.
|
| [Kragen provides links to some alternate mechanisms for matching text]

Icon has an interesting way of doing string analysis which doesn't involve
regular expressions (and if I understand correctly, it inherited it from
languages like SNOBOL).  I bet it's similar to Marc's mxTextTools, though
I haven't looked at the latter carefully.

--
                 Dan Schmidt | http://www.dfan.org
Honest Bob CD now available! | http://www.dfan.org/honestbob/cd.html