a way to keep the Python interpreter in memory?

Bill Scherer Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com
Tue Sep 19 11:30:08 EDT 2000

"R. A." wrote:

> As a rank newbie, I was unable to provide a confident answer to the
> following question posed by an associate coding on the web team at a
> major corporation who has been patiently hearing me out about Python.
> Is there a way to do what he's looking for?
>
> "When you have apps running on a webserver, a Perl application requires
> the perl interpreter (perl.exe in Windows) to be instantiated every time
> a perl script is called.  Java servlets, however, do not as the JVM
> (java.exe in Windows) is always in memory, thus making execution much
> faster.  When Python is attached to a website, does it function like
> Perl or the JVM?  Meaning is a Python interpreter kept in memory at all
> times?"

It's your choice.  You can use PCGI from Zope (www.zope.org) for one
method of achieving interpreter persistence. There are, I think, three
methods for embedding Python within Apache.  There are probably a few
other suitable methods as well...

--
William K. Scherer
Sr. Member of Applications Staff - Verizon Wireless