Public Domain Python

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Sep 10 10:41:41 EDT 2000

In article <o466o49ary.6o4 at localhost.localdomain>,
Pat McCann  <thisis at bboogguusss.org> wrote:

>Now, on to the main reason for this post:  Why do Java and Ada (it's
>named in honor of a woman named Ada, so it's usually mixed case) have
>the level of protection mentioned in the above quote?  I find it hard
>to believe.  I know M$ had problems with $un over Java, but I suppose
>that involved contract disputes or trade secrets or use of the name
>Java or something like that.

That last guess is precisely correct.  Sun couldn't prevent M$ from
doing anything it liked to Java, but it *could* prevent M$ from
*calling* it Java because Java is a trademarked term.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Usenet is not a democracy.  It is a weird cross between an anarchy
and a dictatorship.  --Aahz