Three-operand bytecode

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 16 14:08:21 EDT 2000

[jepler epler]
> Has anyone ever considered implementing a non-stack bytecode version
> of Python?  Not to be confused with "stackless python", this would be
> a system where Python bytecode workes more like a modern processor by
> accessing objects through registers rather than via the Python stack.

This was the thrust of Skip Montanaro's Rattlesnake project; see

    http://www.egroups.com/list/rattlesnake/

It looked promising, but petered out due to lack of time all around to
pursue it.  At least dig thru the list archives (small, btw) before
reinventing the axles.

If you've got some time, I'd suggest contacting Skip and resurrecting the
project under SourceForge!  egroups is a good way to run a mailing list, but
too clumsy for sharing code.

encouragingly y'rs  - tim