2000: A Win32 Oddisey

Geoff Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Mon Sep 25 09:32:54 EDT 2000

You can use the M2Crypto package to get SSL support for Windows in Python
1.5.2.  It's not perfect -- I had problems using urllib, but lower-level calls
using httplib worked OK.

Another idea is to use wininet.dll either via the "calldll" module or via a
Python extension dll.  I haven't tried it from Python, but we're using it to
pull in web pages from Visual Basic so I'm sure it's pretty easy from Python
as well.  Unfortunately, this is another task that would be quite easy for a
Windows-savvy programmer, but might be a bit tough if you don't have much
Windows experience.