Is Python worth learning?

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 12:17:06 EDT 2000

Larry Sherrill wrote:

> I just added python scripting support to my company's java application via jpython.
> We can now perform ad hoc queries against our gemstone database using python script
> that exercises the underlying java classes. I also use jpython to prototype java
> code and to experiment with java classes on an interpreted basis. The two languages
> together are very powerful. IMO, learn both.
>
> Larry Sherrill
> SynXis

What's the speed of jPython?  I've heard the speed of Java slammed so often that the
idea of a second layer of interpretation has always scared me off.  But an earlier post
sounded like jPython went directly to the JVM, so ... That might be a reasonable way to
go after all.

-- (c) Charles Hixson
--  Addition of advertisements or hyperlinks to products specifically prohibited