What is Python?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Sep 20 18:06:37 EDT 2000

Tim Hammerquist <tim at degree.ath.cx> wrote:
> Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>> Of course, I don't expect that eveyone will share this sensibility; if
>> Perl makes sense to _you_, more power to 'ya.  But I did it off-and-on
>> for three years, and my fingers did a lot of walking through the
>> camel--they probably walked a mile for it.

> I found I had to do a lot of extra research to become fluent in Perl as
> well.  However, nothing truly worthwhile comes too easily, right?  ;)

Yes it does. After a brief foray into learning Perl, I read the Python
tutorial and it just basically clicked for me. Came very easily and was
very worthwile to me! :)

[snip]
>> By the way, here's my own personal Python JAPH implementation:
>>
>> 	print "just another perl hacker"

> Coincidentally, and I don't want to hurt your pride, but this is also
> Larry Wall's implementation.  Apparently he has also become tired of all
> these cutesy little tricks.  Of course, Larry would remember to put a
> semi-colon after that statement if there were more than one statement in
> the codeblock... would you?  ;)

I'm sure people have pointed this out already, but it's the Python
implementation, which doesn't need semi-colons. Larry 'remembering' to
put one there wouldn't do him any harm in Python, though.

There is, after all, more than one way to do it. :)

Regards,

Martijn