Does Python scale for heavy web loads?

David N. Welton davidw at linuxcare.com
Thu Sep 7 10:18:10 EDT 2000

markhaliday at my-deja.com writes:

> Question: Using Python as a CGI and running it under Apache, would
> Python realistically be able to handle 5,000 hits an hour and not
> degrade performance?  With Python's threading, (ex: using a
> Default.py script as an example) I call Default.py to render some
> information, only one thread runs Default.py right?  No other people
> can hit Default.py until Default.py finishes with its original
> request and serving the information back...Correct?

You might want to investigate some of the options for integrating
Python with Apache, such as mod_python, PyApache (?), and mod_snake.
Maybe someone else can furnish the URL's.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508