Python Metalanguage confusticates and bebothers me...

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at
Fri Sep 22 17:41:48 CEST 2000

Erik Max Francis <max at> wrote:

> Technically speaking, calling an associative array a "hash" is a
> misnomer (though a common one);

I don't think there's anything wrong with naming something
after the way it's implemented (unless the implementation
is likely to change, of course).  Obviously I wouldn't call
an associative list a "hash" in lisp, because they're not
implemented that way.  (Which is why you can do such things
as rassq, which I've occasionally wished were possible in
Perl without making an inverted copy of the whole hash.)

- jonadab