Public Domain Python

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Wed Sep 13 03:17:26 EDT 2000

Quinn Dunkan wrote:

> The subject seems to have quickly drifted from my original question (which was
> only half in jest).  I gather CNRI has the copyright, so they're the only ones
> who could give it up.  Since they don't make any money on python, and are
> spending money on lawyers to keep from getting sued or whatever, it seems they
> shouldn't have any big reason to not make python pd (no one can sue you for pd
> software, is that correct?).  And now there's these "Python's License Woes"
> stories everywhere, followed by pages of comments saying "copyright this,
> litigation that, rms is a spiny horned toad, etc.", which will probably all go
> away pretty soon... but still, you don't see these things happening to icon,
> do you? :)  I guess people just like to talk about that sort of thing, so it's
> not like they're words that would have otherwise been, say, documenting zope
> :)

It's probably a combination of ego and ego.

or,-as-the-great-alexander-haig-said,-"i'm-in-control-here"-ly y'rs,

=g2
p.s.  As you suggest, Zope sorely needs more documentation.  After going
throught the Zope web site and reading the "Zope Developer's Guide"
cover-to-cover, I still have not been able to figure out what it is,
what it does, and why I need it.  (You'd think any self-respecting
"killer app" would be able to explain that stuff in plain English.
<wink>)  As best I can tell, Zope makes it easy to add a message board
to a web site.  Or maybe it's some sort of thing to manage web
information content separately from web presentation.  If so, I sorely
need a gizmo like that on my dspGuru site.  However, since they won't
tell me what it is, what it does, and why I need it, I guess there isn't
much chance they'll ever tell me how to use it--were I ever choose to.
<wink>

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com