Painfully slow startup

markscottwright at my-deja.com markscottwright at my-deja.com
Tue Sep 12 11:55:40 EDT 2000

In article <upumao9a9.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com>,
  David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
> markscottwright at hotmail.com writes:
>
> > Is python typically very slow when starting up?  When I compare a
> > simple 'hello world' application against perl, python is 2 orders of
> > magnitude slower on startup.

> In 1.5.2, Python also pulls in winmm.dll, which I believe others have
> posted as being a particularly slow loader in some environments.

Yep - that's definitely it.  I pulled down the source for 1.5.2,
commented out PlaySound and removed winmm.lib from the link directives,
recompiled and voila! sub-second startups.  Maybe the fact that this is
a laptop means that the sound card has funky power-management issues.
Guess I should move to 2.0.

Thanks for your help!

Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/