Of what use is 'lambda'???

Tim Dixon tdixon at linux.the-dixons.net
Tue Sep 19 09:27:45 EDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:47:35 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One posted:
>tdixon at linux.the-dixons.net (Tim Dixon) wrote:
>
>> Just a convenience: it lets you do function-like stuff without having to
>> create and name a function.  Lisp people (and its derivatives, from RPL to
>> Logo to ....) will find it a familiar concept.
>
>OTOH, I seldom use lambda in elisp, either.  It just
>seems...  unnecessary.  But its existence in the
>language doesn't hurt anything even if you don't use
>it.  Unless you count one reserved word as significant
>namespace clogging.  [Looks around for Fortran
>advocates...]
>
>- jonadab

Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever used it in xlisp either,
though I have a hunch that it would have made life easier.

I *do* use it in RPL programming. :)  And Python, of course.

--

Tim Dixon   tdixon at the-dixons.net http://www.the-dixons.net