Is this a high volume newsgroup

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 23 23:12:07 EDT 2000

[James Logajan]
> Too high a volume, anyone thinking of how best to sub-divide
> this group?

[Aahz]
> Aaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Read the thread starting with
>
> http://www.deja.com/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=591460383

[and back to James]
> Thanks; read it and unfortunately your response didn't answer my question.
> The thread you referenced died and went the way of the T. Rex six months
> ago. Note the use of the present tense in my query.

Except this is Usenet:  time doesn't work that way here.  Virtually all
discussions are repetitions of old ones!

As a split proponent said in the referenced thread:

> Previous discussions on splitting c.l.py always ended up in jokes and
> just disappeared; I want to resurrect an informal discussion on wheter
> to split the newsgroup or not; an RFD should be posted, of course,
> but IANAL: does anyone have time to create an RFD?

And as Cameron replied:

> No, no one has time to create an RFD.
>
> I speak from experience.  Newsgroup creation requires more commitment,
> and even passion, than you'd expect.  Only someone not discouraged by
> my discouraging words will have the perseverance required to endure
> the process.

I don't believe the dynamics of Usenet have actually changed over the last
six months:  a discussion about splitting c.l.py will again add to the
traffic without making progress.  Or if *this* is the time it doesn't "end
up [as a] joke and just disappear", what radical change has occurred to
enable that?  It took an astronomical event to kill off T. Rex <wink>.

and-there-was-a-python-laughing-on-its-grave-even-then-ly y'rs  - tim