Python 2.0b1 is released!

Pat Knight nospam at ktgroup.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 05:33:58 EDT 2000

In article <jwbnews-0A7969.16304907092000 at news.olympus.net>, "John W. Baxter" <jwbnews at scandaroon.com> wrote:
>I was using languages other than C long before C appeared, and (and I
>didn't do anything with C for another 15 years or so).  The augmented
>assignments are not "natural" for me.

So was I. I didn't write C in anger until 10 years into my career. Before that
I wrote in a language older than C (Algol 68) that had augmented assignments.
They aren't a C invention.

Anyway, isn't the language for the convenience of the software author and
their human audience? If they find augmented assignment makes their life
easier, use it.

Sadly, it now means there's *more than one way to do it* (x += 1 and
x = x +1). I understand the two might have slightly different semantics in
some cases?

Ban simple assignments! Say no to x = x + 1 :-)