Thread Monitors?

Quasimodo KILLzdramboSPAMMERS at zdnetmail.com
Thu Sep 14 14:34:08 EDT 2000

Chris and Aahz: Sorry for the late reply, not only is my connection playing
up but my ISP doesn't seem to refresh the newsgroups very often, so I only
saw your replies today.  Aahz is correct that I'm working with Python.

> Then again, you may be right that the original poster just plain doesn't
understand threads.
This is always a possibility.  This is all completely new to me, including
the terminology.  Kind of been dropped in the deep end (no complaints; best
way to learn usually :-)     My understanding of threads in Windows, is as
follows.
An app (or process) can spawn N threads (there is always at least one thread
running which is the app itself).  Now if each thread needs 1Mb of memory
(say) to do it's thing (store variables, etc), and I have 10 threads running
in one app, then the app is roughly using 10Mb of memory (plus some
overhead).  What I'm trying to monitor is resource usage (in realtime). How
would I know if one thread is, say, using 9 Mb, and the others are each
using 0.1Mb.

Is my understanding of the above incorrect?  I appreciate your input.

I must also point out this is an academic exercise mostly, it's not crucial
to my app running, just trying to understand how my app performs under the
hood.  Also the app will eventually be running permanently, so it would be
nice to check it's under-the-hood status as a sign of health.

I can see total threads running in W98 (using System Monitor) currently.  I
was looking for some sort of monitor that could show me individual threads
and their resource usage (if possible), as opposed to just a total usage for
the app.

Thanks,

Jose