Python 2.0 naive question

Tim Peters tim_one at
Thu Sep 21 21:18:57 CEST 2000

[Tim Roberts]
> Is there a downside to moving from 1.5.2 to 2.0b1?

[Tim Peters]
> 2.0b1 is a beta release:  it's not ready for production use.
> However, it's especially important for people afraid of breakage to
> try a beta.  If they wait until the final release, it's too late.

[Charles Hixson]
> My understanding is that there are severe problems if you are a
> Win95 user.

This is news to me.  Since I built the installer and ran the Windows beta
pre-release testing program, you'd almost think someone would have mentioned
it to me <wink>.

> Something about UniCode not being properly recognized, etc.

Sorry, I have no idea what "etc." means.  Since Unicode wasn't present in
1.5.2 core, there's simply no way to get in trouble with it by moving to 2.0
unless you start using Unicode.  The situation *is* different if you're
using the COM pieces of Mark Hammond's Windows extensions, though, as he now
exposes Unicode through them.

> OTOH, the last time I heard this comment, it sounded like this problem
> might be permanent,

Still don't what "this problem" is.

> so now might be as good a time as any to find out if it impacts you.

Probably better to wait until Tuesday.  That's when 2.0b2 is scheduled for
release, and many initial glitches from 2.0b1 have been fixed.  2.0b2 will
likely be your last chance to check for breakage before 2.0final is

all-in-all-it's-looking-good!-ly y'rs  - tim

More information about the Python-list mailing list