Public Domain Python

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Sun Sep 10 11:05:58 EDT 2000

Tim,

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term 'Public Domain' since it seems to
have specific legal definitions which I didn't know about, and which don't
necessarily coincide with what I'm after.

The point that only specific implementations of Python are copyrighted is
critical to me.  I don't mind an implementation being copyrighted, and I
don't even mind being charged for it (if it's good).  I'm happy to work on
Windows with a commercial IDE and language implementation, as long as what I
produce isn't tied to a proprietary platform or technology.

When I see the way that programs like IE or RealAudio push their users
towards the same few channels of corporate controlled content, I get real
scared about the future.    That's why it does matter that the code I
produce not be in a language like Visual Basic or Java, and that it run on
Linux.

Thanks for the clarifications (and the work on CPython),

Tom

(still smarting a bit from being whacked on the head over Python's decidedly
non-public-domain nature).

news:LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCCEDGHFAA.tim_one at email.msn.com...