Does Python scale for heavy web loads?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Sep 7 20:58:40 EDT 2000

In article <8p85rh$hmi$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <markhaliday at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Question: Using Python as a CGI and running it under Apache, would
>Python realistically be able to handle 5,000 hits an hour and not
>degrade performance?  With Python's threading, (ex: using a Default.py
>script as an example) I call Default.py to render some information,
>only one thread runs Default.py right?  No other people can hit
>Default.py until Default.py finishes with its original request and
>serving the information back...Correct?

Just to be painfully clear, each CGI request starts a separate process
under normal circumstances.  There is no block against starting multiple
processes simultaneously -- Apache will just fork off one copy of Python
per CGI request.  Threading plays no part in this; while there's nothing
to prevent you from using threads within each script, threads running in
different processes do not affect each other.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Usenet is not a democracy.  It is a weird cross between an anarchy
and a dictatorship.  --Aahz