Question about large-file support

Peter.Rupp at ual.com Peter.Rupp at ual.com
Wed Sep 13 14:55:06 EDT 2000

All,
Has there been an effort to support large-file functionality (where
available)?  I've seen documentation that it is available on SUN, AIX,
and HP, however when I try to build Python (1.5.2/1.6, or 2.0b) on a
64-bit HP 11.00 V-class server (using HP's unbundled ansi-c compiler),
the configure script believes this system does not support large-files.

FWIW, large-files are supported on either 32-bit or 64-bit platforms
going back to HPUX 10.20, but it can get fairly convoluted...hp has a
white-paper (and examples) in /usr/share/doc/lg* that describe their
interface.   Not only does the C-code need to properly support the
seek/open calls properly, but the file systems (hfs/vxfs) also contain
a flag that indicates if large-files are supported in the file-system.

It seems that large-file support is highly platform dependant.
My questions are then...
1)  Would it be possible to modify the file-object to identify whether
large-files are supported, and actually usable?
2)  I see large-file usage becomming more prevalent...has there been
any discussions of making this available in a uniform manner?

Please respond to peter.rupp at ual.com, as I cannot get usenet here.

Best regards,
==pete==
P. A. Rupp