Python in Sept. Nuts & Volts

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Sat Sep 23 17:45:44 EDT 2000

In article <6eboss8fd0qbjub02vt11soog0gm5bjvba at 4ax.com>,
Tim Roberts  <timr at probo.com> wrote:
>"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g at virginia.edu> wrote:
>>This months Nuts & Volts magazine has an article by Tim Deagan
>>( actually part 2 -- I missed last month ) on writing a
>>PIC 16C84 disassembler in Python.
>>
>>( Now: anyone have any ideas on how to get Python onto a PIC? ;-)
>
>For those who don't get the joke, allow me point out that the typical PIC
>processor has 8k bytes of ROM and 192 bytes of RAM.  Yep, that's 192,
>without any of them there fancy suffixes, like M or K.

That doesn't make it impossible to run programs in a high-level
language like Python on it, although it might make other languages
(like FORTH) a better choice.  It does mean that you need a compiler
that's pretty good at optimizing and really good at throwing away
things you don't need.

Seems like an interesting research project.  ;)
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves