Does Python scale for heavy web loads?

Oleg Broytmann phd at
Thu Sep 7 16:08:08 CEST 2000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 markhaliday at wrote:
> Question: Using Python as a CGI and running it under Apache, would
> Python realistically be able to handle 5,000 hits an hour and not

   Even standalone python interpreter could (not on 386SX, of course :),
but you can speed things up by using PyApache or mod_python or mod_snake.

> degrade performance?  With Python's threading, (ex: using a
> script as an example) I call to render some information,
> only one thread runs right?  No other people can hit
> until finishes with its original request and
> serving the information back...Correct?

   I do not understand your question about threading; in Aapche
will be run as many times in parallel as there many requests (until you
employ some locking mechanisms).

     Oleg Broytmann              phd at