Coexistence (was: Python 2.0b1 is released!)

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Sun Sep 10 12:26:47 EDT 2000

Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>Does anyone know if Python 2.0b1 can peacefully coexist with python 1.5.2
>on a Windows machine? (E.g. are there no common registry entries)

At least with 1.6b I think there were common registry entries, cuz
after installing 2.0b, it still had a sys.path pointing to a lot
of my 1.6b subdirectories, plus it was booting the old IDLE. I had
similar prob with 1.6b vs. 1.5.2.

But in the latter case, I just went to the icon and changed where
to boot IDLE (i.e. python16/tools/idle/idle.pyw).  If it's really
just a search path issue with 2.0b, this could also be addressed
with a coded definition of the complete search path upon bootup.

In sum, my impression is they only quasi-peacefully coexist, but
you could probably have a workaround. Others no doubt much better
informed on this issue.

Kirby