What is Python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Sep 19 02:21:40 EDT 2000

William Tanksley wrote:

> Here's another way of saying that:
>
> cat /scripts/movies/brian/* | grep "\\bjudea" | grep "\\bfront\\b"

That should be

    grep "\bjudea" /scripts/movies/brian/* | grep "\bfront\b"

The cat is superfluous and the \b grep token should be \\b out of a
quote or \b inside one.

> The direct translation [to Python] is reasonably obvious (using the
> fileinput, glob, and re modules).

I'd say the glob wouldn't be the job of the Python script, since that
would be the job of the shell.  ("Windows, you say?  What's that?")

/  \ The critical period in matrimony is breakfast-time.
\__/ A.P. Herbert
    Fat Boy and Little Man / http://www.fatboyandlittleman.com/
 Watch Fat Boy and Little Man go about their antics.