Mapping Python to CORBA

Andrew MacKeith mackeith at
Fri Sep 22 19:21:03 CEST 2000

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> In article <m4i66nps5bo.fsf at>,
>  Timothy Docker  <timd at> wrote:
> >However, having said this, I think there is a reverse mapping for
> >(some parts of?) java, and there is also one for COM in the
> >COM<->CORBA interoperability specification.
> There is indeed a Java -> IDL mapping, and that's where all the
> valuetype ugliness in CORBA 2.3 comes from. It only really exists to
> allow RMI over IIOP -- I don't imagine anyone is using it to
> communicate from Java to some other language. COM is a different
> proposition, since it already restricts the sorts of things which can
> be transmitted.
> Java -> IDL relies on the fact that Java is statically typed, so a
> pre-compiler can figure out the mapping to IDL. For Python, you'd have
> to do it at run-time, so it would be much less useful. Why not just
> use pickle, and send the data as a CORBA sequence<octet>?
> Cheers,
> Duncan.
> --
>  -- Duncan Grisby  \  Research Engineer  --
>   -- AT&T Laboratories Cambridge          --
>    -- --

Thanks to everyone for the postings.

I guess I had not expected _CORBA_ to have a reverse mapping, but I
thought that the Python community might have an opinion
on such mappings, such as
    Python list -> IDL typedef sequence<any> MyList;
or similar.

However, I can easily work out my own, and as Tim pointed
out, these things are probably very much application specific.